The Texas Concealed Handgun Association began as the Texas Concealed Handgun Instructor Association in 1997, one year after the Texas concealed handgun law, now the license to carry (LTC) law, went into effect. The association’s membership initially consisted of instructors trained by the Texas Department of Public Safety and licensed to teach Texas residents to legally carry handguns under the law.
In 2003, the association expanded its membership to include license holders and anyone interested in carrying a handgun for self defense and currently has more than 1,500 membership. The specific objectives and purposes of TCHA are:
- To promote the continuation and improvement of the Texas License to Carry (LTC) Law.
- To represent the standards and concerns of members to the general public,news media, Texas Department of Public Safety and legislators.
- To promote responsible firearms safety, ownership and use in our communities.
- To provide current information to members about the laws, lesson plans and topics related to the License to Carry program.
- To promote high standards of instruction and training.
- To support the right of responsible, law-abiding citizens to own, keep and lawfully carry firearms for personal protection.